Tales of 9 Runs: Ok, Clearly Bit Off More Than I Could Chew

So today's Greenbelt's 3rd Annual Beverly Commons Trail Run didn't go as expected.  I signed up for the 7.3 mile ride, but only completed the 3.6 mile trail. In the context of everything, I'll take that as a win.  This week as a whole has been a major epic win in running.  I ran about 35 miles...in a single week.
Lance Eaton after the Greenbelt's 3rd Annual Beverly Commons Trail Run
After the run-hurting

I talked about my major breakthrough on last Sunday.  This was followed up by a 5.4 mile run on Tuesday and then my friend and I went for a 10.8 mile run on Friday.  It was his first venture past the 9 mile mark and we had a good time of it.  Our time wasn't great, but we were aiming to finish.  More importantly, for me, I found my running with him impressive because I managed to have regular conversations over the nearly 2 hour.  We didn't talk the whole time, but we did talk.  I was never one that was good at conversing while running.  I always thought it crazy because I had enough trouble with breathing.  But sure enough, we fell into our rhythms of conversation and I was able to hold most of the conversations (though there were a few where my agreements turned into grunts).

But that good run cost me on today's run as did my ignorance.   First, I didn't realize a "trail run" was different from a regular run.  I'm still a neophyte to the terminology and lingo.  I didn't pay much attention to that word until I was looking at the information for the run this week and figured it out.  I realized I had to trade in my Vibram 5 Fingers for my Merrells with the Vibram soul because if it was a forest trail, I find the 5 Fingers usually problematic with rocks getting stuck between the toes. I generally haven't run in my Merrells--I use them mostly for work and walking around.  They're my "appropriate shoes" that don't evoke looks when walking around.  They were actually fine to run in, I was just overexerted from the previous day's run.
Lance Eaton's numbers thus far.

I got about one mile into this run and realized that I wasn't going to be able to do the full 7.3 miles.  I was very content with the decision as I could tell that if I did, I might risk hurting myself with just a week before the big run.  It wasn't worth and I had nothing to prove--I had run10.8 miles less than 16 hours ago.  I enjoyed the trail running--it was definitely harder and pushed me more than street running. It's something I will have to explore further.  Shifting directions, balancing, conscious foot placing, the ups, the downs, etc.  It pushed me and I liked it.  I was also surprised because this was the first time since I started this running kick that I've taken a dive.  At one point along the run, I tripped and hit the ground.  This served as a clear indication that I was aching and wouldn't be seeing the full 7.3 miles.  However, I didn't do too bad in the overall numbers, apparently.

Well, here I am at the end of summer and it's been a long and awesome trip.  Of the 9 I set out to do, I've now completed 7 with one more to go.  8 out of 9 is a pretty good record as far as I see it.  One week from Monday, I will be participating in the 25K Around the Cape and I'm totally ready for it.

While I'm also thinking about it, the first run that I ever participated in is going again this fall.  The 2nd Annual Lynda J Talbot 5K Memorial Run is running again this fall and I encouraged anyone reading this and in the area to join.  It's a nice 5K on October 1.  Right now, I won't be able to attend (most likely I will be in Washington DC that weekend), but you can be sure that if I am around, I will be running it--coming full circle.

Given the adventures of this week, I am giving myself a post week massage from a good friend and skilled massage therapist at Shanti Bodywork.  It will help loosen up my body for next week's big run and is a well-deserved treat for this week's performance.



Did you enjoy this read? Let me know your thoughts down below or feel free to browse around and check out some of my other posts!. You might also want to keep up to date with my blog by signing up for them via email. 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Comments